Mandatory System Update: DROID by Motorola
To help you with the mandatory system update for your DROID by Motorola, this page contains the following information:
Reserving Power for System Update
- The "Install now" and "Restart & install" options will not be available if your device does not have enough power availability. The system update requires 40% or more power availability if not connected to an external power source and 20% power availability if connected to a power source.
System Update Instructions
- You will be notified that a system update is available on your device. Press "Install now" and your device will power off and back on and the installation process will begin.
Note: If you choose "Install later" this will delay installation and you will be taken back to the home screen. The system update message will appear every 30 minutes until you install the update.
- If you press "More Info..." you will receive more information regarding the system update on your device.
- After you've received first notification of the system update, you can manually initiate by going to "Home" > "Menu" > "Settings" > "About phone" > "System updates". Press "Restart & install". Your device will power off and back on and the installation process will begin.
- The update has begun once your device powers off and back on and you see the following screen:
System Update while You Are Roaming
- If you are roaming, you will not receive a system update notice. You will need to enable Wi-Fi and wait for the update notice to appear or as mentioned above you can manually update by selecting "Home" > "Menu" > "Settings" > "About phone" > "System updates".
- To enable Wi-Fi, go to "Settings" > "Wireless & networks". Press "Wi-Fi" to enable.
- To connect to an available Wi-Fi network, select "Wi-Fi settings" and select an available an Wi-Fi network or manually add a Wi-Fi network that has had security settings established.
If the system update fails to install you will get the following error screen. However, this only means the software did not install properly. Remove and re-insert the battery and power the device back on. The device will power back on with original software and will prompt you once again to install the system update.
If the update fails again please contact Verizon Wireless Customer Care at (800) 922-0204.
DROID is a trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd. and its related companies. Used under license.