VZ Navigator® FAQs
What is VZ Navigator®?
VZ Navigator is your full service mobile navigation application right on your cell phone or tablet.
With VZ Navigator you get:
- Visual and voice turn-by-turn route directions (not available with VZ Navigator Maps)
- Premium coast to coast NAVTEQ traffic in the U.S., with spoken incidents and alerts up to five miles ahead of you
- Automatically or manually route around traffic to avoid potential congestion on the roads ahead
- Navigation maps for cars, bicycles and walking
- Local search information including businesses, movies, events, weather and other points of interest (POI’s)
- Save Favorite locations in My Places. Backup your Favorites by syncing to the web at www.vznavigator.com
- Send your current location to friends and family using VZ Navigator’s Place Messaging
- Use the Say-It menu option to voice-activate navigation and searching (available on select devices only)
- Post updates to your Facebook® page with your current location (available on select devices only)
- Customize VZ Navigator to your preferences including language, units of measure and navigation voice
- Roadside Assistance option from Verizon Wireless (available on select devices only)
Go to www.vznavigator.com for more information.Back to top
How can I get VZ Navigator®?
- For Smartphones and other devices, use the Web browser and go to http://nav.vzw.com/vznav. Select the app to download it.
- For basic phones, select VZ Navigator in the Media Center under the Travel category.
What phones and tablets are compatible with VZ Navigator®?
Most of our phones and tablets are compatible with VZ Navigator, including AndroidTM, BlackBerry®, Windows Mobile®, Palm® and basic phones. Scroll down to the bottom of www.vznavigator.com to see an updated list of current devices supporting VZ Navigator.
Android is a trademark of Google, Inc. Use of this trademark is subject to Google Permissions.Back to top
How do I upgrade to the latest version of VZ Navigator®?
- For Android™ phones, check Google Play™ for updates.
- For iPhone® check the App Store® under "Updates."
- For other Smartphones, open the browser and go to http://nav.vzw.com/vznav.
Feature phones: Use the VZ Navigator Menu option on your device to check for updates.
Android is a trademark of Google, Inc. Use of this trademark is subject to Google Permissions. iPhone and App Store are registered trademarks of Apple Inc.Back to top
Where can I use VZ Navigator®?
VZ Navigator is available for use in the Verizon Wireless National Enhanced Services Coverage Area. Please check www.vznavigator.com for additional details.Back to top
Will using VZ Navigator® drain my battery?
As with all applications, VZ Navigator uses battery power to provide service. In order to optimize battery life we suggest using a car charger when navigating.Back to top
What’s the difference in “Route Types” within VZ Navigator®?
The differences are as follows:
- “Fastest" routes are selected based on estimated travel time. They are faster to drive but can be longer in distance.
- “Shortest” routes are selected based on total travel distance. They can take longer to drive due to speed limits.
- “Simplest” routes contain the fewest possible turns but may take longer to drive and may be longer in distance than other route options.
- From the main screen in VZ Navigator®, select “Options” (or “Menu” for BlackBerry® users). Then choose “Preferences,” and select “Navigation.” Click “Trip Settings,” and choose “Route Type” to select your preference.
Is VZ Navigator® available on my Alltel phone?
No, VZ Navigator is available only on select Verizon Wireless phones.Back to top
Does Bluetooth® work with VZ Navigator®?
VZ Navigator works with most Bluetooth-enabled devices. Depending on the particular manufacturer’s device, the audio may be transmitted but not heard. To ensure you are able to hear VZ Navigator audio, please turn off Bluetooth on your handset.Back to top
How can I backup my Favorites on VZ Navigator®?
You can sign in to www.vznavigator.com to manage and backup your Favorites and My Places, and even sync to your phone.Back to top
Which cities are 3D enhanced with VZ Navigator®?
Starting with VZ Navigator version X (7.1.x), select cities have enhanced 3D maps showing detailed buildings, roads and intersections. It's recommended to download the desired cities via Wi-Fi to avoid potential data charges prior to navigating or as you are driving. As of 10/12/2011, the following cities are 3D enhanced:
- Fort Lauderdale
- Kansas City
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- New York
- San Francisco
- St. Paul
- Washington D.C.
Where can I find more information about VZ Navigator®?Back to top