Hard Reset - Apple® iPhone® 4S
Performing an Erase all Content and Settings will remove ALL data including the Email accounts, system data, application data, application settings, and downloaded applications. Only perform this reset if absolutely necessary.
Performing a hard reset is only recommended when the existing data has been backed up or is unwanted. For assistance refer to Apple article: # HT1766 - iPhone and iPod touch: About backups.
After an Erase all Content and Settings or a Restore through iTunes, an initial setup may need to be performed. For assistance refer to Initial Activation and setup - Apple® iPhone® 4S. If Erasing all Content and Settings does not resolve the issue, perform a Restore through iTunes.
- From the home screen, select Settings.
- Select General.
- Select Reset.
- Select Erase All Content and Settings.
- Select Erase iPhone.
Do not disconnect the iPhone from the computer during the restore process.
For assistance verifying the version of iTunes refer to Apple article: # HT1208 - iTunes: How to find which version you are using.
- Disconnect the USB cable from iPhone, but leave other end of USB cable connected to the computer.
- Press the power button on iPhone for a few seconds until the slide to power off switch appears.
- Slide the slide to power off switch right, to power off the device.
- Press and hold the Home button then connect the iPhone to the computer via USB cable.
- The Home button can be released when the Connect to iTunes screen appears on iPhone.
- If iTunes does not open automatically, open the iTunes application on the computer.
- When prompted with 'iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode' click OK.
- From iTunes, click Restore.
- For assistance with the restore through iTunes, refer to Apple article: # HT1414 - iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch software then follow the Restore instructions.
- Connect the iPhone to the computer via USB cable.
- Open the iTunes application on the computer.
- Click iPhone (located in the upper-right).
- Click Restore iPhone.
- Review the iTunes alert message then click Restore.
- Click Next.
- Review the software license agreement then click Agree.
- The restoration process may take several minutes.
- Once the restoration process is complete click OK.
Thanks for your feedback.